Saturday, July 21, 2007

Cruising Reflections

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but I haven't been updating this thing too frequently. I apologize, but this will likely be my last apology. Blogging is enjoyable, but it is far from a top priority in my life right now, so I'll put something up when I have both the inclination and time. Oh, and I won't make the mistake of trying to catch you up on all that has happened since my last update either--that's a daunting task that only makes me less likely to even try. Now that that unfortunate business is out of the way . . . .



We returned from our cruise a week or two ago, and I've been planing on blogging about how pathetic it is that we Americans think of cruising as an ideal vacation. I started explaining my thoughts to Jen a few days ago when she said, "I just really enjoyed it. It was nice to relax and be taken care of for a while."

What a better perspective. I'm sure if I had just decided to dwell on the blessing of being on a vacation then I would have had a more cheerful one. As it is, on tropical vacations I usually let my thoughts drift to self or societal criticism.

Becoming "fully alive" is a personal and team goal, and I think a drastic and divine transformation and renovation of my mind is in order. I like how Paul put it:

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. (Philippians 4:8 MSG)
So, friends, if you don't mind, then please help me with this transformation. When you see me help direct my thoughts toward the good and perhaps we can together find God in it.



A few cruise pictures for you:

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 7/21/2007 10:10 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Sudden thought - what if being fully alive actually means being fully dead - dead to your self? Letting go of these things you have to have, your comforts, your routines, your jealousies, lusts, factions, grudges, and devoting yourself to service of others? That's kind of where my thoughts have been going lately...

 
At 7/21/2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Taylor W said...

Makes me think of another Paul phrase:

Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that.
Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God? I refuse to do that, to repudiate God's grace. If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily. (Galatians 2:20-21 MSG)


This idea that giving up myself and becoming completely God's is actually in my own best self-interest. If I want to really live then it only makes since that I would want to align myself completely with the Author of Life and the Creator of Reality. He'd obviously know the best way.

 
At 7/21/2007 10:06 PM, Blogger Meg said...

On a shallow note - You and Jen look really cute in your pictures together! :D

 
At 7/28/2007 9:48 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Taylor! You guys look like you had a lot of fun. Cruises are my fav. But, you know me, I love to be pampered. The four of us (or five) should do that together sometime. That would be fun!

Sidenote: You are so lucky! Your wife is sooo beautiful! :)

Sidenote 2: Brandon and I went on the Rhapsody for our Honeymoon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home