Thursday, May 24, 2007

Month in review: part 1

I think I'll just do snippets as I have the time. If you want details . . . ask. If you want pictures then you're in luck.



4/11: I've joined a few meetup groups. One is the Boston Photography Center. So this Wednesday night I traveled to the Fenway for the monthly meeting at the New England School of Photography. Of course I had to take a few pictures before the meetings started. It's a good group with good people; I look forward to spending more time with them.



4/18: Another meetup group night: The JP Settlers of Catan Meetup. Three of us got together to play Settlers at a dessert cafe. You'll be glad to know I came in from behind and barely won. It looks like I'm the new assistant organizer of this group, so I guess I'd better keep attending.


4/20: The Friday before finals started. After listening to 3+ hours of 12 minute student seminars (yes, I did fall asleep), I decided to go visit the Boston Public Library at Copley Square. Jen had to work late, and I wanted to go do something fun. Well, I got there at 4:35. The exhibit was a display and audio tour of John Adam's personal library, but unfortunately they kicked me out at 4:50 (why must libraries close so early on the weekend).

I decided to visit the MFA since I was close and certainly hadn't had my fill of art after 15 minutes in the library. Most of the MFA closes at 5pm, but the hall I wanted to visit was open till 9pm. The best part is, as a Tufts student, I get free admission. I wanted to see the exhibit "Donatello to Giambologna: Italian Renaissance Sculpture." So I did. Some great stuff in there, but soon after I entered the exhibit I was informed that it was a no-photography zone. Sad. Guess you'll just have to go see it yourself.








4/27: I gave my 12 minute
seminar on the laser ablation process using long pulsed (picoseconds) or short pulsed (femtoseconds) lasers. This is probably going to be my area of research for my master's thesis. (FYI: short pulses are the way to go! Good overview here.) It went well, but I went over my allotted time and contributed more than my fair share to the 4+ hour session.

Needing to relax, we had the Plotts over for a movie night watching The Nativity Story. It's by far the best telling of the birth of Christ I've ever experienced. Perhaps it's the best Christian movie I've ever seen. Go watch it (we got it from the library--yay free movies!).



more to come

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home