Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Things I learned this weekend

I learned a few things this weekend at a retreat. There were a half dozen couples who met in upstate New York to talk. And talk. And talk. Two full days of conversation from dawn to dusk and into the night--we'd only relocate for meals (or an occasional walk or bball)--but the conversation never really stopped. It was GREAT!

Things I learned:
  • God is alive and active in his world. He never stopped working and he never stopped speaking. Most people never hear him because they don't know how to or even that it's possible.
  • Listening isn't enough regardless of who you're talking with. To really begin to understand each other all parties involved should try to hear the others. Listening isn't enough. (Let those who have ears to hear, hear. And be assured that God gives good gifts to his children when they ask him: Ask, seek, knock.)
  • There's a wonderful sense of peace that comes when I no longer feel like I must say the things I'm thinking. I can wait and let other people speak first (their comment might be much more important or profound). Once a few seconds of silence have passed, then I can say what I want to--if I still want to. I don't have to share everything I think of.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home