Thursday, January 10, 2008

Who are we?

I think words are very important. For instance, it really bothers me when someone dismisses something as "just semantics." Connotation and word choice convey ideas, and really, what else do we have to communicate with (specifically concerning the written word)?

As a result I'm always trying to think of more accurate ways to describe things. According to a recent personality profile I'm a refiner through-and-through. It seems to fit.

So who are we?

Many names have been used to describe this "new" thing that God is doing. The Revolution, simple church, the Emerging church, house church, organic church. As is my tenancy, I feel somethings not quite right with each of them.

The revolution is too ambiguous. I like ambiguity, insofar as it sparks conversation, but too much ambiguity tends to make me just walk away--perhaps I'm afraid of what the answer might be.

Simple church has too many connotations and too little concrete meaning. Are we a simple church? Yes, of course, but I'm not really sure what all that means. I feel the same way about organic church. What does it mean to be organic? Does it mean we don't add preservatives? We're supposed to be salt. Does it mean we only follow natural methods? What does that mean anyway? Can I still use my TV to show a video? Is that organic? I think so . . .

House church reassigns the church to another location. Can you have a house church in a bar? I suppose so, but it sure would feel kinda weird.

And I have issues with the word church to begin with. As I understand it (working from memory), the word translated church is ecclesia which originally just meant assembly. Obviously it came to mean much more. Church on the other hand translates from the German kirk which is most accurately translated as temple--a building. I'm quite certain that buildings should be a non-issue. There are plenty of times where having one is very useful. There is so much the Body can do without one. It seems amoral.

So, I ask again, who are we?

As of this morning the best I've come up with is:

An Informal Church

There you have it. It's not great. It might not even be good. But of all the options I've come up with I like it the best . . . for now.

A somewhat related question is, what are we about?

Try this on for size:

An informal community trying to find the joy and glory of God everywhere.

Comments? Questions? You know where to go.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home