Wednesday, November 08, 2006

God Will Accomplish His Purposes
(regardless of who's in office)

I've really never been one to follow politics. I often question whether I should or not, but even when I try to keep track of what's happening I never seem to sustain much interest. Perhaps it's due to my being too busy or self-absorbed. Perhaps it's because I unfortunately tend to only think about those things which I personally see and deal with daily. Maybe I can blame it on growing up in a house where politics were never really discussed or because I grew up in Texas where there is never really any question about which party will dominate. Regardless of the reason, the fact remains that honestly I usually just don't seem to care.*

I do, however, wrestle about what a Christian's proper relation to government is. On one hand we're told to submit to the ruling authorities since they are instituted by God (Paul and Peter discuss this in Romans 13 and 1 Peter 2:13-17). But on the other hand we're living in a very different political climate than they were--in a democracy we're each (arguably) an important part in deciding on who our rulers are or becomeing those rulers ourselves. Is simply obeying the established laws all that I'm required to do in "honoring the king" or do I take a more active stance since I'm somehow responsible for the creation or modification of those laws? I think these are important questions. I wish I had good answers to them. Complete separation is tempting, but to completely concede this nation to forces that are bad or perhaps even evil hardly seems like a proper position for a warrior of God. And from what I can tell politics seems to completely consume people who truly get involved; that doesn't seem like a good way for a Christian to live either. . . . . and the questions and contradictions continue

At the very least I do think it's appropriate for me to visit the ballot box when opportunity arises. Jen and I are now official Massachusetts residents, and our vote today definitely was part of the minority. At any rate, afterward Jen commented, "It felt good to vote." I have to agree.

I just checked on the voting results: as of 2am most everything is finalized and it looks like a sweeping victory for the democratic party both locally and nationally. In Massachusetts we elected democrats for governor (surprisingly it's the first time in 16 years) and for just about everything else. The republicans lost control of the house and it looks like they might lose the senate as well. I know many Christians who would equate Christianity with the republican party.** It would be easy for them to despair.

However it's important to remember that the political stage should never be our primary focus. Looking through history and the scriptures we see that nations will rise and fall; evil will appear to win for a time and then good will miraculously appear to regain control. It cycles. It undulates. It always has and we shouldn't be supprised that it happens in America also. But throughout the good and the bad we must remember that God is constant, active, and concerned. But perhaps He's concerned about nations only insofar as they will effect the lives and decisions of individuals--how those individuals will relate to Him. If a surge of evil (i.e. the Babylonians destroying Judah ca. 600BC) results in some people truly meeting and knowing God (that ever present remnant God's always talking about in the OT), then perhaps the evil isn't really in control after all. God is ALWAYS in control. He's present and involved whether it's on the national political stage or with you at work tomorrow. Don't forget that.


--------------------
* Unless I'm regularly around politically savvy people. For instance, this summer while I was working at Quincy College Bookstore one of my coworkers, Jay, would often ask me about my views on a myriad of topics. Since he is well informed politically it only makes since that a few of these would be political. Like one day we were discussing the last presidential election when he asked me "How can a follower of Jesus vote for evil?" (This was in response to a statement I made about how neither candidate was even close to ideal, therefore the decision had to come down to choosing the lesser-of-two evils.) I think it's a good and valid question. If any of you happen to have an answer to the question then I'd love to hear it. But, back on topic (I think it's funny that I got on a tangent in a footnote which is inherently tangential to the main topic itself--go figure), while I was around Jay daily I found myself listening to the news and keeping up with world and national events much better--I didn't really have a choice if I wanted to be able to have meaningful conversations with him. And it was fun. Perhaps I just need proper motivation.

** I also know a few people who would equate Christianity with the democratic party. I think its sad and amusing how we humans tend to superimpose the things we're most concerned about on top of our understanding of God and Jesus. It seems to me that God wouldn't agree with the conservative position that unborn children should be allowed to live AND the liberal position that people should and do have the free will to make their own decisions regarding their own lives. We're doing a disservice to our Creator when we try to fit him within political confines. Both parties have stands that resemble the heart of God, and both parties also have a lot of scnadal and corruption too. It's never an easy choice.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11/09/2006 8:15 AM, Blogger Meg said...

As someone who does follow politics (and yet didn't vote this year, but that's a story for another time), I struggle with accepting that you don't have to follow my political beliefs to be a Christian. Sometimes I worry that I try too hard to win someone over to my political views rather than to the cause of Christ, and that is never, ever right. You CAN be a Christian and a Republican, Democrat, or Independant. I'm still out on the Green/Rainbow party though ...

 
At 12/08/2006 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny to me how worked up we get over which party is in power when it's more and more apparent to me that the parties are essentially Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, regardless of the excessively divided rhetoric on both sides. Both parties use the strong opinions of their bases to get into power and once they're IN power... they pander to the status quo. Oh well.

Judea in Jesus' time wasn't so different than what we know now. Asking whether Jesus was a Republican or Democrat is like asking whether He was a Pharisee or Saducee. He excoriated both in the harshest of terms, and I feel we should treat our politicians the same way. Was Jesus political or apolitical? Yes. He never courted power, He never lobbied, He never raised money, but He was very involved in communicating the truth to both the powerful and the unpowerful, and ultimately it was politics that did Him in - which He knew, and thus used to perform the greatest feat of mercy in history! He was not disengaged from politics, but He did not worship at the idol of power and influence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home