Saturday, August 26, 2006

How Would You Change the World?

I was talking with Jay (my coworker at the college bookstore) a few days ago when I asked him how he'd go about enlightening people if he had the ability to view time like we do the other dimensions.

We use dimensions to locate, i.e. on earth we use latitude, longitude, and elevation to pinpoint any specific place on our globe. Time locates as well. If you want to locate a person or object then the three spatial diminutions are inadequate. At 2 this morning I was located in a very different place then I was at 2am 6 months ago. I think you get the picture.

Time is commonly understood as the forth dimension, but perhaps it would be better to think of it as a half dimension since we we are limited to one direction at a constant speed. With the other three dimensions we can move around at will--changing direction and velocity whenever we want to--but time doesn't allow us that luxury.

Back to the question I asked Jay, "What would you do if you had a full view of time? How would you enlighten people?"

"I'd ride bikes," he said.

Bikes . . . I like it. The answer supprised me, but perhaps it's a good plan. It's hard to not get involved with the people you're riding bikes with; usually you all share a common goal. Community forms. Bike riding people can be led and encouraged, but they can't be forced to follow. It's a good way to do life together.

He told me about a group that rides bikes for social change in Boston. Unfortunately I can't remember the name or I'd link to them, but I'll try to remember to ask him.

In the meantime I think I'll go for a ride.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home