Monday, August 28, 2006

We're Not Alone

How encouraging to not have the weight of the world on my shoulders. I'm all the time tempted to think that God and/or the world truly needs me in order to function. Would that be called an Atlas complex? God has always claimed personal responsibility for the ultimate outcome of the world. Jesus promises that he will personally build his church. Is it not the height of arrogance for me to think that without me he won't be able to do it. Like Mordici told Esther:

"For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"1

All I have to do is open my eyes and look around me to see that God is not neglecting Boston. God has something big planed here and I'm privileged to be a small part of it. Almost every week we find out about another group, couple, team, or traditional church that is already here and doing good for God. I'll tell you about a few, but as I discover them I will add their website links to my blog sidebar. ----->

Steve and Crissy are an amazing couple from ACU. Thanks to a mutual friend in Texas Steve and I started talking almost 2 years ago. It didn't take long before we discovered we have practically the same vision for Boston. They moved to Boston proper about 3 weeks before our caravan arrived in Quincy (just south of Boston). I'm eager to see what God does with this couple--it will be truly amazing.

Oasis is a house church that meets in a suburb just north of Boston. Many from our team worship with them regularly. They are part of a larger organization called the CCPC--the Collegiate Church Planting Community. Oasis' leader, Brent, and I have really become good friends. On a side note, he and his wife are expecting a new baby later this week, so I'm sure prayers would be coveted.

On Sunday (27th) four of us (Jen, Plotts, me) visited a very neat Presbyterian Church that's close by. I wish I could tell you more about it, but I'm running late for work. Here it is quick: wonderful people, great worship, very thoughtful sermon, extremely welcoming, established young married small group ministry that has already multiplied, outreach focused--the local community is this years primary focus. There's much more. I'm excited to get involved with this church to see what they're doing and what has and hasn't worked in Quincy for them. I think we'll learn quite a bit.

Whenever you feel overwhelmed by responsibilities and pressures, remember that you are important2, but the world existed before you and will likely continue after you. God is eager to use you as a tool, but he doesn't want you to break. Take some time and rediscover Sabbath--God made us and knows how we operate best (with rest).

You are very important, but you're not God. I find that thought comforting.


_____________________
1. Esther 4:14 NIV
2. Never doubt your importance either. The infinite creator of all that is personally emptied himself of his glory in order to make it possible for you to coexist eternally with him. Now that's value.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home